Inside the industry and inside the agency
Social Networking the expanding trendby Lauren Glass
Social networking is a phenomenon that has seen extreme growth in recent years.
The vast amount of social networking sites have been so popular and are still increasing in popularity as new functionality is created due to one simple reason; you (the user) can share information about yourself, your company and your interests instantly and can be quickly shared by others in your network.
The global reach of social media alone creates a compelling case to consider it in your company’s marketing mix. If that alone isn’t enough to convince you, then hopefully these facts will prove the prominence of adopting social media to expand your media coverage…
- Facebook believes that 50% of active users logon every day. That means at least 175million users every 24 hours…a wide target reach don’t you think?
- Twitter has over 75 million accounts registered globally.
- Wikipedia has in excess of 14 million articles, a good way for you to inform people globally and keep your name on the net.
- There are more than 3.5 billion pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, etc.) shared each week on Facebook.
- There are now 11 million LinkedIn users across Europe.
- Towards the end of last year, the average number of tweets per day was over 27.3 million.
- The average number of tweets per hour is around 1.3m.
- More than 700,000 local businesses have active Pages on Facebook advertising themselves and showcasing products.
- Custom-built Facebook pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans.
- 70% of bloggers organically talk about brands on their blog.
- 38% of bloggers post brand or product reviews.
- More than 80,000 websites have implemented Facebook Connect since December 2008 and more than 60million Facebook users engage with it across external sites each month.
- 40% of respondents click the “like” button on a company, brand or association on Facebook to receive discounts and promotions.
- 75% of Twitter traffic is generated from outside of twitter.com.
- 30 billion pieces of content (web links, news blogs etc) are shared each month on Facebook.
[Source: Econsultancy, Dec 2010]
The greatest advantage of social media marketing is generating exposure for your business resulting in increased traffic and building new business partnerships. The stats should have given you a good picture of the social media market and hopefully has shown you how powerful it can be if applied to your online marketing strategy.
Leave a comment
Contact us to discuss your digital requirements
Tel. +44 (0)20 7183 4999
- Accessibility (2)
- Advertising (7)
- Alterian Immediacy CMS (6)
- Analytics (3)
- Application Development (9)
- Awards (17)
- CMS (19)
- Copywriting (2)
- Ecommerce (10)
- Email Marketing (7)
- Fun Stuff (48)
- Hosting (4)
- Intranets (1)
- Mobile (4)
- News (72)
- Pay Per Click (2)
- People (32)
- Project Management (11)
- Rich Media (6)
- SEO (17)
- Social Media (21)
- Systems Integration (7)
- Usability (12)
- Video (2)
- Web Design (48)
- Web Services (15)
- WickedWeb CMS (16)
- Windows Application Development (2)
- Application development
- Content Management Systems
- Digital Marketing
- Email marketing
- Fun stuff
- Online marketing
- Print design
- Social media
- Strategic Consultancy
- Systems Integration
- Web design
- Web design and build
- Twitter feed unable to load